Read the latest news from Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine’s Department of Surgery. The links below take you to articles where you can learn more about our faculty’s latest achievements, awards, and honors.
- First William H. Pearce Research Symposium06.21.2019 - Vascular Surgery
The first William H. Pearce Research Symposium was a success!
Surgical residents and fellows presented their research in basic science and clinical research. This event is partnered with the General Surgery Eldlestone-Bendix Day. Dr. Pearce, and the EB Visiting Professor, Dr. Melina Kibbe were in attendance.
- Eskandari Hosts Vascular Surgery Edition of Coffee with MD06.17.2019 - Vascular Surgery
Dr. Mark Eskandari led the Vascular Surgery edition of the Coffee with MD series this morning.
The BCVI staff learned all about the specialty and about Dr. Eskandari. The event is sponsored by the BCVI LTR committee.
Special thanks to our vascular APP, Lauren for organizing!
- Dr. William H. Pearce Awarded SVS Lifetime Achievement Award06.14.2019 - Vascular Surgery
Dr. William H. Pearce, Emeritus Professor of Surgery at Northwestern, was awarded the Society for Vascular Surgery's (SVS) Lifetime Achievement Award during the 2019 Vascular Annual Meeting.
The award is highest honor that the SVS bestows on one of its members, and it recognizes an individual’s outstanding and sustained contributions in leadership and professional practice.
Dr. Pearce has been an invaluable mentor to many vascular surgeons throughout the years, and we congratulate him on his much deserved award.
- Dr. Jordan receives The Plastic Surgery Foundation Award05.29.2019Dr. Sumanas Jordan receives The Plastic Surgery Foundation Award for her work titled "Chest Dysphoria in Transmasculine Adolescents".
- Dr. Teitelbaum receives Alvin H. Baum Simulation Award05.28.2019Dr. Ezra Teiltelbaum was awarded the NMF Alvin H. Baum Simulation Award for his research "A Simulator-Based Mastery Learning Resident Curriculum for Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy".
- Cancer Care Bolivia04.30.2019 - DepartmentTransforming Cancer Care in Bolivia highlights the efforts of chief surgical resident Steven Schuetz, MD. https://news.feinberg.northwestern.edu/2019/04/transforming-cancer-care-in-Bolivia/
- Vascular Surgery Scientist Trainee Awarded Northwestern's Research Day Award04.05.2019 - Vascular SurgeryCongratulations to Rhami Khorfan for winning first place at Northwestern’s Research Day for his working looking at the long-term outcomes of the FIRST Trial. No difference in resident wellness with cumulative years under flexible duty hour policies.
- Vascular Surgery Scientist Trainee Awarded a VRIC Trainee Award04.01.2019 - Vascular SurgeryEdmund Chen, a surgical resident on our Northwestern Vascular Surgery Scientist T32 training grant, has been awarded the Vascular Research initiatives Conference (VRIC) Trainee Award from the Society for Vascular Surgery Foundation. Chen will be presenting Microbial Colonization Restores Neointimal Hyperplasia Development after Arterial Injury in Germ-Free Mice at VRIC on 5/13/19.
- Lanterman Vascular Surgery Student is Named, "EJ Wylie Traveling Fellowship Award"04.01.2019 - Vascular Surgery
Jason Khanh, a Lanterman Vascular Surgery Student and mentee of Dr. Karen Ho, is a named recipient of the EJ Wylie Traveling Fellowship Award.
The Award is given by the Society for Vascular Surgery. The purpose of the award is to help advance the maturation of future physicians by funding travel costs to a number of excellent vascular surgery centers worldwide.
- Presentations at APDVS and AVSC Annual Meeting03.29.2019 - Vascular Surgery
Program Coordinator Jenna Little presented at the Society for Vascular Surgery APDVS/AVSC Annual Meeting on the ACGME Self-Study Process, and participated as a panelist in the combined session on, "Rethinking Recruitment." Additionally, Vascular Integrated Resident, Katherine Hekman, M.D., presented on the topic of, "Trainee Mentorship," during the APDVS Business Meeting.
- Soper Steps Down as Chair of Surgery03.26.2019
A national search will be conducted to recruit a successor to Soper, who will continue on as a professor in the department. Howard Chrisman, MD, MBA, professor of Radiology and of Surgery and president of Northwestern Medical Group, will serve as interim chair.
- Dr. Bharat receives NHLBI R01 award01.04.2019
Congratulations to Dr. Ankit Bharat who received an NIH R01 award from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute for his project entitled, “Donor Nonclassical Monocytes Initiate Lung Injury Following Transplantation” for a total of $2,756,135 for five years.
- Dr. Merkow receives ACCELERAT K12 Award12.06.2018 - Research
Dr. Merkow has been selected as a scholar for A Chicago Center for Excellence in Learning Health Systems Research Training (ACCELERAT) program. This highly competitive award is funded through the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ).
- Goldberg Travel Award11.23.2018 - Vascular SurgeryIntegrated Resident, Katherine Hekman is named the 2018 4th quarter Goldberg Travel Award Recipient from the Northwestern Department of Surgery.
- Vascular Nursing Conference11.08.2018 - Vascular SurgeryThe Vascular Surgery faculty and staff educate nurses across Chicago at the 32nd Annual Nursing Conference on Selected Topics in Vascular Disease. Check out more on the conference by visiting the nursing conference webpage.
- Hekman ACS Award11.08.2018 - Education
Vascular Surgery Integrated Resident, Dr. Katherine Hekman was awarded, "Excellence in Research Award" from the American College of Surgeons for her abstract: Evaluation of the Effectiveness of an Evidence-Based Bundled Quality Improvement Intervention in Reducing Surgical Site Infections in Lower Extremity Vascular Bypass Procedure. Click here to view her abstract.
- Faculty Excellence in Teaching Award11.08.2018 - Vascular SurgeryDr. Heron Rodriguez was awarded an Excellence in Teaching Award from the Northwestern Department of Surgery for his commitment to students, residents, and education activities for the academic year of 2017-2018. Dr. Rodriguez also serves as Program Director for the Vascular Surgery Integrated Residency Program, and has a strong educational mission.
- Faculty Service Recognition11.08.2018 - Vascular SurgeryDr. Heron Rodriguez has been featured in Northwestern's Feinberg School of Medicine's Faculty Service webpage for his work with Altus Academy and international education. To view his profile, visit the Faculty Service Website.
- Congratulations Dr. Christopher11.02.2018 - Organ TransplantationCongratulations Derrick Christopher, MD MPH on your new role as Associate Program Director of Evaluation in the General Surgery Residency Program.
- Dr. Wertheim receives DOD award09.14.2018
Dr. Wertheim received a DOD award from the U.S. Medical Research Acquisition Activity for his project entitled “Uncovering the circulating factor in FSGS” for a total $316,000 for two years.
- Dr. Wertheim receives NIH R01 award09.14.2018Dr. Wertheim received a NIH R01 award from the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases for his project entitled, “Repairing the Kidney Endothelium via Targeted Extracellular Matrix Modifiers” for a total of $1,580,000 for five years.
- 2017-2018 Teaching Award Recipients Announced06.21.2018 - Vascular Surgery
The Department of Surgery at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine announces Resident as Teacher and Fellow as Teacher Awards each year. Awards are bestowed to surgical trainees who serve as excellent role models, clinicians, and learners. These individuals embody the educational mission of Northwestern and prioritize learning.
This academic year (2017-2018), four vascular trainees were awarded:
Fellows as Teacher
Michael Soult, MD and Gabe Wallace, MD
Resident as Teacher
Matt Chia, MD and Courtney Furlough, MD
- Dr. Pearce Emeritus Status06.21.2018 - Vascular SurgeryAfter 30 of excellence and "leading by example," Dr. William Pearce has been approved for Professor Emeritus Status, effective 7/1/2018. Dr. Pearce is a pioneer in the field of vascular surgery and has successfully shaped the division of vascular at Northwestern. He is known for his impact in research, education, clinical expertise, humanitarian work, and for his mentorship. It is with deep appreciation and admiration that we thank Dr. Pearce for his service.
- Dr. Rodriguez Professor Promotion06.21.2018 - EducationThe Division of Vascular Surgery is proud to announce that Dr. Heron Rodriguez has been promoted to Professor of Surgery and Radiology at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine. Dr. Rodriguez has been a faculty member at Northwestern since 2006 and has been devoted to patient care and education. To learn more about Dr. Rodriguez, please visit his faculty page.
- Resident, Dr. Katherine Hekman Receives Excellence in Research Award06.21.2018 - Vascular Surgery
Resident Dr. Katherine Hekman has been selected for an Excellence in Research Award in the category of vascular surgery. She is one of the total of sixteen authors receiving an award.
Dr. Hekman will be presenting her awarded abstract, "Evaluation of the Effectiveness of an Evidence-Based Bundled Quality Improvement Intervention in Reducing Surgical Site Infections in Lower Extremity Vascular Bypass Procedures," at the 2018 Owen H. Wangensteen Scientific Forum in October 2018.
- Dr. Abecassis Wins 2018 Tripartite Prize04.04.2018 - Organ Transplantation2018 Tripartite Legacy Faculty Prize in Translational Science and Education winner is Michael Abecassis, MD, MBA, the James Roscoe Miller Distinguished Professor of Medicine and founding director of the Comprehensive Transplant Center. To watch video click here.
- Dr. Merkow was recently featured on NBC for first HIPEC treatment01.25.2018
Dr. Ryan Merkow and his patient, Corey Campers, were recently featured on NBC5. Dr. Merkow performed the first HIPEC (Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy) treatment at NMH last month, and Corey now shows no signs of cancer. To read the full article and watch the news clip, please click here.
- Dr. Mamta Swaroop recognized at 39th Annual Humanitarian Awards01.24.2018Dr. Mamta Swaroop was recognized at the Northwestern Medicine 39th Annual Humanitarian Awards Program. Additional information about the celebration and Dr. Swaroop's accomplishments can be found here.
- Transplant Fellowship Progam Director Change01.01.2018 - Organ TransplantationCongratulations Nitin Katariya, MD on your new role as Transplant Surgery Fellowship Program Director. Joseph Leventhal, MD, PhD will continue his involvement as the Assistant Program Director for the fellowship.
- Congratulations Dr. Leventhal12.19.2017 - Organ TransplantationCongratulations Dr. Leventhal for your recent research award from U.S. Army Medical Research and Materiel Command for the study, "T Cell Receptor Repertoire Analysis as a Biomarker for Predicting Graft Rejection in Transplant Recipients".