Read the latest news from Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine’s Department of Surgery. The links below take you to articles where you can learn more about our faculty’s latest achievements, awards, and honors.
- Vascular Resident, Andres Guerra Presents at Annual CVHH Meeting10.14.2019 - Vascular SurgeryVascular integrated resident, Andres Guerra, delivered a presentation on carotid bypass at the annual CVHH meeting in Guadalajara, Mexico. The lecture was given in Spanish to Latin American vascular surgeons.
- 2018-2019 Excellence in Research Mentorship Award Winners10.14.2019 - Vascular Surgery
The Department of Surgery at Northwestern has named Dr. Karen Ho and Dr. Andrew Hoel as recipients of the 2018-2019 Excellence in Research Mentorship Award.
Their contributions to the surgical trainees work to continue the educational and research missions of the department.
- Dr. Vavra Presents on IVC Filters at MVSS Meeting09.13.2019 - Vascular Surgery
Dr. Ashley Vavra presented, “IVC Filter Removal For all? How I approach my IVC filter patients,” during the 2019 Midwestern Vascular Annual Meeting, in Chicago, IL.
- New Faculty Announcement08.15.2019 - Department
We are pleased to announce the appointment of Chitaru Kurihara, M.D. as in Instructor of Surgery to the Department of Surgery and Division of Thoracic Surgery. Many of you may know Dr. Kurihara as an Advanced Thoracic Surgery Fellow/Lung Failure Fellow in our department. Dr. Kurihara joined Northwestern Medicine as an Instructor of Surgery as of August 1st, 2019.
Dr. Kurihara received his M.D. from the University of Gunma in 2009. He completed his residency in Cardiothoracic Surgery and practiced as a Cardiothoracic Surgery attending at the Tokyo Metropolitan Geriatric Hospital in 2014. In 2014-2016, Dr. Kurihara was an Assistant Scientist in the Division of Vascular Surgery at the University of Wisconsin and a Research Associate at Baylor College of Medicine until May 2017. Dr. Kurihara joined Northwestern University as a Fellow in Advanced Thoracic Surgery in May 2017. Dr. Kurihara will be supporting our advanced lung failure program including lung transplant/organ procurement and veno-venous ECMO/ECMO cannulation. We look forward to having Dr. Kurihara join the faculty.
- New Faculty Announcement08.15.2019 - Department
We are pleased to announce the arrival of Amit Pawale, MBBS, MRCS, FRCS, FACC to the Department of Surgery and Division of Cardiac Surgery. Dr. Pawale joined Northwestern Medicine as an Associate Professor of Surgery as of August 1st, 2019.
Dr. Pawale completed his Cardiothoracic Surgery Residency at Mount Sinai Medical Center in 2015 and then joined their staff where he assumed the position of Associate Director of the Cardiac Transplant and Mechanical Circulatory Support program. He was also the Surgical Director of the ECMO Program for the Mount Sinai Health System. Dr. Pawale has an expertise in heart failure surgery and minimally invasive surgical techniques, including mitral valve surgery. He will join Dr. Duc Pham as Associate Director of the Cardiac Transplant and VAD program. Dr. Pawale received his MBBS from Krishna Institute of Medical Sciences in 2000, his MRCS from Inlaks and Budhrani Hospital in 2004, his FRCS in the Society of Cardiothoracic Surgery in 2009, his American Board of Thoracic Surgery in 2015, and his FACC in 2018.
- New Faculty Announcement08.15.2019 - Department
We are pleased to announce the arrival of Anne Stey, MD, M.Sc. to the Department of Surgery and Division of Trauma and Critical Care. Dr. Stey joins Northwestern Medicine as an Assistant Professor of Surgery as of August 1st, 2019.
Dr. Stey received her M.D. degree in 2009 from the Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York. She took time during medical school to complete an M.Sc. degree in International Health Policy from the London School of Economics and Political Science (2008). She completed General Surgery Residency in 2016 at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York. During residency, Dr. Stey completed a Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Scholar Research Fellowship at the University of California Los Angeles in 2014. After residency she completed a Pediatric Surgical Oncology Clinical Fellowship at the Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. Dr. Stey joins us after completing a Trauma and Surgical Critical Care Fellowship at the University of California, San Francisco. Dr. Stey has a strong interest in patient care quality, outcomes and value. In addition to her clinical work in Trauma, Critical Care and Emergency Surgery she will continue this work as part of SOQIC's research team.
- New Faculty Announcement08.15.2019 - DepartmentWe are pleased to announce the arrival of Samuel Kim, M.D., FACS to the Department of Surgery and Division of Thoracic Surgery. Dr. Kim joined Northwestern Medicine as an Associate Professor of Surgery as of August 1st, 2019.
Dr. Kim received his M.D. from Tufts University School of Medicine in 2002. He completed his residency in General Surgery at the University of Pennsylvania Hospital in 2009 and residency in Cardiothoracic Surgery at the Massachusetts General Hospital in 2012. Dr. Kim completed his fellowship in Minimally Invasive Esophageal Surgery at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center and fellowship in Cardiothoracic Surgery at Mayo Clinic in 2010. As a clinician-educator, Dr. Kim will be involved with our medical students, residents and fellows' education as well as the development of our robotic thoracic surgery practice.
- Vascular Program Coordinator Appointed to Co-Chair of AVSC Mentorship Sub-Committee07.15.2019 - Vascular SurgeryJenna Little, Education Coordinator for the Vascular Surgery Training Programs at Northwestern, has been appointed to serve as Co-Chair on the Association of Vascular Surgery Coordinator's (AVSC) Mentorship Sub-Committee. The goal for the new sub-committee is to connect, educate, and empower vascular coordinators across the country.
- Department of Surgery Promotions07.11.2019 - Department
On behalf of the Department of Surgery’s Appointment, Promotion and Tenure Committee I am very happy to announce that Northwestern University has conferred and awarded tenure/promotions effective September 1, 2019 to the following faculty:
Jason Wertheim, MD, PhD – Award of tenure at rank of Associate Professor of Surgery
Swati Kulkarni, MD – Promoted to Professor of Surgery
Chris Malaisrie, MD – Promoted to Professor of Surgery
Michael McGee, MD – Promoted to Associate Professor of Surgery
David Odell, MD, MMSc – Promoted to Associate Professor of Surgery
Andrew Hoel, MD – Promoted to Associate Professor of Surgery
- Welcome the New Vascular Resident07.02.2019 - Vascular Surgery
The vascular team welcomes Calvin Chao, from the University of Massachusetts, as the newest vascular integrated resident.
Calvin was first introduced to the team as a visiting medical student in September. He quickly connected with the service and became a valued member of the group. He has a strong background in research and engaged in community service throughout medical school. Calvin plans to pursue a career in academic surgery after residency.
- 2018-2019 Teaching Awards07.01.2019 - Vascular Surgery
The Department of Surgery has awarded vascular fellow, Gabe Wallace, and vascular resident, Michael Nooromid, with the 2018-2019 Teaching Award. The award is based on the evaluation scores given by the residents and medical students throughout the year. Congratulations, Gabe and Michael!
- Fourth Vascular Resident Completes Training06.28.2019 - Vascular Surgery
Neel Mansukhani, M.D., was the fourth integrated vascular resident to graduate from the Northwestern Vascular 0+5 Training Program since the program's start, in 2009. Dr. Mansukhani will begin independent academic practice in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
- First William H. Pearce Research Symposium06.21.2019 - Vascular Surgery
The first William H. Pearce Research Symposium was a success!
Surgical residents and fellows presented their research in basic science and clinical research. This event is partnered with the General Surgery Eldlestone-Bendix Day. Dr. Pearce, and the EB Visiting Professor, Dr. Melina Kibbe were in attendance.
- William H. Pearce Research Symposium Awards06.21.2019 - Vascular Surgery
Below are the listed award recipients from the first William H. Pearce, M.D. Research Symposium. Congratulations to all the winners and presenters, including the great work from the vascular division!
Medical student category: Benjamin Yu, Katherine Shapiro, Linh Ngo Khanh
Junior Resident category: Andre Son, Andres Guerra
Senior Resident category: Courtney Furlough, Rhami Khorfan, Tarik Yuce
Fellow category: Gabe Wallace, Shivangi Yadav, Pieter Norden
- Eskandari Hosts Vascular Surgery Edition of Coffee with MD06.17.2019 - Vascular Surgery
Dr. Mark Eskandari led the Vascular Surgery edition of the Coffee with MD series this morning.
The BCVI staff learned all about the specialty and about Dr. Eskandari. The event is sponsored by the BCVI LTR committee.
Special thanks to our vascular APP, Lauren for organizing!
- Dr. William H. Pearce Awarded SVS Lifetime Achievement Award06.14.2019 - Vascular Surgery
Dr. William H. Pearce, Emeritus Professor of Surgery at Northwestern, was awarded the Society for Vascular Surgery's (SVS) Lifetime Achievement Award during the 2019 Vascular Annual Meeting.
The award is highest honor that the SVS bestows on one of its members, and it recognizes an individual’s outstanding and sustained contributions in leadership and professional practice.
Dr. Pearce has been an invaluable mentor to many vascular surgeons throughout the years, and we congratulate him on his much deserved award.
- Dr. Jordan receives The Plastic Surgery Foundation Award05.29.2019Dr. Sumanas Jordan receives The Plastic Surgery Foundation Award for her work titled "Chest Dysphoria in Transmasculine Adolescents".
- Dr. Teitelbaum receives Alvin H. Baum Simulation Award05.28.2019Dr. Ezra Teiltelbaum was awarded the NMF Alvin H. Baum Simulation Award for his research "A Simulator-Based Mastery Learning Resident Curriculum for Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy".
- Cancer Care Bolivia04.30.2019 - DepartmentTransforming Cancer Care in Bolivia highlights the efforts of chief surgical resident Steven Schuetz, MD. https://news.feinberg.northwestern.edu/2019/04/transforming-cancer-care-in-Bolivia/
- Vascular Surgery Scientist Trainee Awarded Northwestern's Research Day Award04.05.2019 - Vascular SurgeryCongratulations to Rhami Khorfan for winning first place at Northwestern’s Research Day for his working looking at the long-term outcomes of the FIRST Trial. No difference in resident wellness with cumulative years under flexible duty hour policies.
- Vascular Surgery Scientist Trainee Awarded a VRIC Trainee Award04.01.2019 - Vascular SurgeryEdmund Chen, a surgical resident on our Northwestern Vascular Surgery Scientist T32 training grant, has been awarded the Vascular Research initiatives Conference (VRIC) Trainee Award from the Society for Vascular Surgery Foundation. Chen will be presenting Microbial Colonization Restores Neointimal Hyperplasia Development after Arterial Injury in Germ-Free Mice at VRIC on 5/13/19.
- Lanterman Vascular Surgery Student is Named, "EJ Wylie Traveling Fellowship Award"04.01.2019 - Vascular Surgery
Jason Khanh, a Lanterman Vascular Surgery Student and mentee of Dr. Karen Ho, is a named recipient of the EJ Wylie Traveling Fellowship Award.
The Award is given by the Society for Vascular Surgery. The purpose of the award is to help advance the maturation of future physicians by funding travel costs to a number of excellent vascular surgery centers worldwide.
- Presentations at APDVS and AVSC Annual Meeting03.29.2019 - Vascular Surgery
Program Coordinator Jenna Little presented at the Society for Vascular Surgery APDVS/AVSC Annual Meeting on the ACGME Self-Study Process, and participated as a panelist in the combined session on, "Rethinking Recruitment." Additionally, Vascular Integrated Resident, Katherine Hekman, M.D., presented on the topic of, "Trainee Mentorship," during the APDVS Business Meeting.
- Soper Steps Down as Chair of Surgery03.26.2019
A national search will be conducted to recruit a successor to Soper, who will continue on as a professor in the department. Howard Chrisman, MD, MBA, professor of Radiology and of Surgery and president of Northwestern Medical Group, will serve as interim chair.
- Dr. Bharat receives NHLBI R01 award01.04.2019
Congratulations to Dr. Ankit Bharat who received an NIH R01 award from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute for his project entitled, “Donor Nonclassical Monocytes Initiate Lung Injury Following Transplantation” for a total of $2,756,135 for five years.
- Dr. Merkow receives ACCELERAT K12 Award12.06.2018 - Research
Dr. Merkow has been selected as a scholar for A Chicago Center for Excellence in Learning Health Systems Research Training (ACCELERAT) program. This highly competitive award is funded through the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ).
- Goldberg Travel Award11.23.2018 - Vascular SurgeryIntegrated Resident, Katherine Hekman is named the 2018 4th quarter Goldberg Travel Award Recipient from the Northwestern Department of Surgery.
- Vascular Nursing Conference11.08.2018 - Vascular SurgeryThe Vascular Surgery faculty and staff educate nurses across Chicago at the 32nd Annual Nursing Conference on Selected Topics in Vascular Disease. Check out more on the conference by visiting the nursing conference webpage.
- Hekman ACS Award11.08.2018 - Education
Vascular Surgery Integrated Resident, Dr. Katherine Hekman was awarded, "Excellence in Research Award" from the American College of Surgeons for her abstract: Evaluation of the Effectiveness of an Evidence-Based Bundled Quality Improvement Intervention in Reducing Surgical Site Infections in Lower Extremity Vascular Bypass Procedure. Click here to view her abstract.
- Faculty Excellence in Teaching Award11.08.2018 - Vascular SurgeryDr. Heron Rodriguez was awarded an Excellence in Teaching Award from the Northwestern Department of Surgery for his commitment to students, residents, and education activities for the academic year of 2017-2018. Dr. Rodriguez also serves as Program Director for the Vascular Surgery Integrated Residency Program, and has a strong educational mission.