The Department of Surgery Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee
The Department of Surgery values diversity, equity, and inclusion among all faculty, staff, and trainees. The department is committed to fostering a collaborative and inclusive environment for all, regardless of any aspect of identity.
Individual differences and unique perspectives are critical to delivering high-quality care, engaging in scholarly activity, educating trainees, and supporting the careers of all. We recognize the extent to which inequity, social injustice, and systemic racism impact the health of the Northwestern community and the communities we serve. Diverse ideas and innovative solutions are required to effectively tackle issues related to inequity, health disparities, systemic racism, and bias in medicine.
- Guide departmental efforts to recruit and maintain a workforce that reflects the diversity of the communities that we serve.
- Promote equity in areas such as leadership, promotion, committee representation, and faculty, trainee, and staff retention.
- Create and maintain an environment of respect and inclusion.
- Advance principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion in all departmental activities.
Health Equity Work
- Health Equity at Northwestern
- Health Equity Work in the Department of Surgery
- Juan C Caicedo-Ramirez, MD runs the Hispanic Transplant Program. The Northwestern Medicine Hispanic Transplant Program, the only known program of its kind in the country, offers a culturally sensitive program dedicated to serving Spanish-speaking patients in need of a transplant.
- Dinee C Simpson, MD who is the first African American female transplant surgeon in Illinois, founded the program to address disparity in access to transplantation experienced by the Black community. The African American Transplant Access Program is committed to breaking down barriers to transplant care in the African American community through access to education, resources and world-class transplant care.
- Sumanas W Jordan, MD, PhD supports our Gender Pathways Program. The Northwestern Medicine Gender Pathways Program is committed to providing gender-affirming care to transgender and gender nonbinary patients. Our multidisciplinary team of specialists offers a range of surgical, medical and mental health services. They are dedicated to helping people achieve their individualized transition-related goals.