News & Events
- [+] 02.13.2013 John J. Bergan, MD, Lecture
The Division of Vascular Surgery at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine is proud to establish the John J. Bergan, M.D., Lectureship. The lectureship has been established in honor of the visionary vascular surgeon and founder and first chief of the Division of Vascular Surgery at Northwestern, Dr. John J. Bergan. Dr. Bergan’s career spans more than half a century, with unflagging dedication to the pursuit of excellence in the advancement and understanding of vascular disease.
Dr. Peter Gloviczki from Mayo Clinic will present the First Annual John J. Bergan, M.D., Lecture on “Chronic Venous Insufficiency and the Bergan Legacy” at 7:00 a.m. on Thursday, March 7. The lecture will take place in Pritzker Auditorium on the third floor of Northwestern Memorial Hospital, 201 E. Huron.
- [+] 02.12.2013 Pearce receives Pioneers in Performance Award
On November 16, 2012, W. L. Gore and Associates announced that Dr. William H. Pearce, Professor in the Division of Vascular Surgery, was a recipient of the 2011-2012 Pioneers in Performance Awards for the USA. The award recognizes exceptional work in the field of vascular and endovascular therapy. Dr. Pearce was acknowledged specifically for his “dedication to sharing knowledge with peers and patients.”
- [+] 09.07.2012 Donna Blackburn Receives SVU Award
On June 7, 2012, Donna Blackburn received the 2012 Society for Vascular Ultrasonography Professional Achievement Award at the annual meeting of the society. This award is intended to acknowledge an SVU member’s substantial contributions to the vascular technology profession through education (traditional and non-traditional) or scientific research. Donna has worked in the vascular laboratory at Northwestern Memorial Hospital since 1976. She currently serves as Clinical Instructor in the vascular laboratory. She also is Assistant Professor in Vascular Ultrasound at Rush University, College of Health Sciences. This award very appropriately recognizes Donna’s long-term commitment to vascular diagnostic education for technologists as well as Vascular Surgery fellows.
- [+] 09.07.2012 Northwestern Vascular Symposium
The 37th Annual Northwestern Vascular Symposium will be held at the InterContinental Chicago on December 6-8, 2012. The program provides a comprehensive analysis of the current management of vascular disease as it relates to treatment of extracranial cerebrovascular and supra-aortic trunk disease, new approaches to lower extremity arterial and venous problems, recent cutting-edge developments in open and endovascular approaches to treat aortic and visceral arterial disease, as well as novel techniques for complex venous problems. For this 2½ day course, 50 national experts in various fields of vascular care have been selected based on recent peer-reviewed publications, national societal presentations, and/or recognized expertise in their disciplines. View Brochure or Register Online
- [+] 09.04.2012 Vascular Surgery is pleased to welcome Dr. Andrew HoelPlease welcome Dr. Andrew Hoel to the Department of Surgery and the Division of Vascular Surgery effective Tuesday, September 4, 2012. Dr. Hoel graduated from the Mayo Medical School in 2003. He completed a residency in general surgery at Brigham and Women’s Hospital followed by a fellowship in vascular surgery at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center. Dr. Hoel’s clinical interests include the treatment of aortic, visceral, carotid, and lower extremity vascular disease. His specialized training in endovascular surgery, including the treatment of complex aortic aneurysms, complements his background in open surgical treatment of vascular diseases. Currently, Dr. Hoel’s research focuses on secondary prevention and quality of life in vascular surgery patients with particular emphasis on the role of new technology to improve patient outcomes. View Profile
- [+] 08.23.2012 Ashley Vavra Receives Compassionate Care Award
Dr. Ashley Vavra, Vascular Surgery Fellow, was one of three winners of Northwestern Memorial's Compassionate Care Awards for 2012. Dr. Vavra, who started her Vascular Surgery fellowship on July 1, 2012, received the award for her performance during her General Surgery residency.
- [+] 01.01.2012 Chicago Magazine names 2012 Top Doctors: Congratulations to Dr. William Pearce!Congratulations to Dr. William Pearce named one of "Chicago's Top Doctors" in the January, 2012 issue of Chicago Magazine, an honor bestowed upon less than two percent of doctors in metropolitan Chicago!
- [+] 12.08.2011 36th Annual Northwestern Vascular SymposiumThe 36th annual Northwestern Vascular Symposium was held in Chicago, IL, December 8-10, 2011. The symposium focused on assessment and treatment of various vascular diseases. Forty-three world-renowned physicians presented on their areas of expertise. One-hundred-fifty-five registered attendees represented the United States, Ireland, Denmark, and Canada. The book (Contemporary Vascular Surgery) that was published in conjunction with the symposium and contains summaries of the presentations may be obtained by contacting People's Medical Publishing House--USA at Order@bookmasters.com or 1-800-247-4388 (Continental US and Canada) or www.pmph-usa.com.
- [+] 11.15.2011 Drs. William Pearce, Mark Morasch, and Mark Eskandari Listed as Top DoctorsDrs. William Pearce, Mark Morasch, and Mark Eskandari have been named to the U. S. News and World Report’s list of top doctors in the area
- [+] 11.1.2011 Nick Tsihlis promoted to Research Assistant ProfessorNick Tsihlis, PhD has been promoted to Research Assistant Professor in the vascular surgery basic science research laboratory. Nick earned his bachelor’s degree in Biochemistry and Cell Biology from Rice University, Houston, and his doctorate in Biochemistry from Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge. He joined the basic science research laboratory in 2006 as a postdoctoral research fellow. Since that time, Dr. Tsihlis has received grant funding from the American Heart Association, has 9 publications in peer-reviewed journals, and has presented research at numerous local, regional, and national surgical and scientific meetings. He is a member of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, American Heart Association, Association for Academic Surgery, and the American Society of Investigative Pathology. View Dr. Tsihlis' Profile
- [+] 09.01.2011 Faculty Appointment Changes
Effective September 1, 2011, Dr. Mark Eskandari has been promoted to the rank of Professor in the Departments of Surgery, Medicine, and Radiology and Dr. Melina Kibbe has been awarded tenure at the rank of Associate Professor of Surgery in the investigator career track.
- [+] 07.27.2011 Dr. Pearce Featured on Fox News
Dr. William Pearce was featured on the July 27, 2011, Fox Chicago News discussing the treatment of varicose veins.
- [+] 09.17.2010 Dr. Melina Kibbe Recognized
In recognition of her accomplishments in academic surgery, research, teaching, and leadership, Dr. Melina Kibbe was awarded the title of Edward G. Elcock Professor in Surgical Research. She also has been appointed Deputy Director of Northwestern University’s Institute for BioNanotechnology in Medicine (IBNAM) and as Vice-Chair of Research in the Department of Surgery of Feinberg School of Medicine. In addition, Dr. Kibbe was accepted as a fellow in the 2011-2012 class of the Hedwig van Amerigen Executive Leadership in Academic Medicine (ELAM) Program for Women. On August 26 at the Founders’ Day Ceremony, she received the 2011 Structure Function Joost Award from the Feinberg Class of 2014. This award is given for outstanding teaching in the Structure Function curriculum.
- [+] 09.00.2010 Illinois Surgical Quality Improvement Grant
Dr. Mark Eskandari is Principal Investigator on a grant that was recently received from Department of Health and Human Services, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality to fund an Illinois Surgical Quality Improvement Conference. The conference will bring together healthcare workers and quality improvement managers from around the state with the purpose of finding ways to insure high quality surgical care.
This page last updated Dec 1, 2011