Department News & Events
- [+] 06.17.2013 The Division of Vascular Surgery welcomes new fellows and a new resident - Vascular Surgery
The Division of Vascular Surgery welcomes two new fellows and one new resident. Fellows George Havelka MD and Tad Tomita MD and resident Michael Nooromid MD will join the vascular surgery team on July 1, 2013.
- [+] 06.17.2013 Neel Mansukhani MD wins A.A. Goldsmith Award - Vascular Surgery
Vascular surgery resident Neel Mansukhani, MD has been chosen as the 2013 recipient of the Dr. A. A. Goldsmith Award. The award is given to the first year resident who best exemplifies the ideal of genuine humanity and empathy toward patients and their families.
- [+] 06.14.2013 Dr. Jolanta M Topczewska to join Pediatric Plastic Surgery - Department
The Division of Pediatric Plastic Surgery is pleased to announce that Jolanta M. Topczewska, PhD, has been approved for promotion to FT Research Associate Professor and will join the Department of Surgery, effective 9/1/13.
- [+] 06.14.2013 CV Surgery Presents 21st Annual Baffes Lecture - Education
Cardiovascular-Thoracic Surgery presents the 21st Annual Thomas Baffes Symposium on Friday, June 28, 2013, from 3-5 p.m., in the 22nd floor Conference Room (22-2115) of Lurie Children's. Our esteemed guest lecturer is James S. Tweddell, MD, Professor of Surgery & Pediatrics Medical College of Wisconsin, and Chair, Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Children's Hospital of Wisconsin. Dr. Tweddell will be discussing "Valve Management in Unbalanced AVSD" & "Invisible Problems in CV Surgery."
- [+] 06.12.2013 Dr. Khan opens Repros Clinical Trial - ResearchDr. Seema Khan opened a Repros clinical trial entitled "Presurgical Phase IIB Trial of Oral CDB-4124 vs. Placebo in Women with Stage I-III Primary Breast Cancer".
- [+] 06.12.2013 Dr. Dumanian receives DOD award - ResearchDr. Gregory Dumanian received a Department of Defense award for his work entitled "Targeted Reinnervation as a Means to Treat Neuromas Associated with Major Limb Amputation".
- [+] 06.12.2013 Dr. Galiano receives DOD award - ResearchDr. Robert Galiano received an award from the Department of Defense via subaward from Wake Forest University Health Sciences for his work titled "In-vivo Functional Muscle Regeneration Utilizing an Implantable Modular Bioreactor".
- [+] 06.12.2013 Dr. Mustoe is awarded DOD award - ResearchDr. Thomas Mustoe was awarded a contract from the Department of Defense for his study entitled "Locally Applied Statins to Reduce Scarring".
- [+] 06.12.2013 Ed Moriera, Dr. Stupp, and Dr. Kibbe receive AHA Midwest Grant - ResearchEd Moriera along with mentors Dr. Kibbe and Dr. Stupp were awarded the AHA Midwest fellowship for their work titled "Development of a Targeted Therapy to Prevent Restenosis following Cardiovascular Interventions".
- [+] 06.01.2013 Dr. Kim opens Kimberley-Clark Corp. Clinical Trial - ResearchDr. John Kim opened a Kimberley-Clard Corp. clinical trial entitled "A Prospective, Multi-Center, Randomized, Open Label Controlled Trial Using a Dissolved Oxygen Enriched Dressing in Nipple-Sparing Mastectomy".
- [+] 06.01.2013 Dr. Galiano opens Sanuwave, Inc. Clinical Trial - ResearchDr. Robert Galiano opens a Sanuwave Inc. Clinical Trial entitled "A Double-Blind, Multi-Center, Randomized, Sham-Controlled, Parallel Group Comparision of the dermaPACE (Pulsed Acoustic Cellular Expression) Devise in Conjunction with Standard of Care Versus Stadard of Care Alone in the Treatment of Diabetic Foot Ulcers".
- [+] 06.01.2013 Dr. Hoel receives award with Darthmouth College - ResearchDr. Andrew Hoel is assisting Darthmouth College with their award entitled "Developing a Survey Instrument for Patients with Abdominal Aortix Aneurysm (AAA)".
- [+] 06.01.2013 Dr. Eskandari opens W.L. Gore and Associates Clinical Trial - ResearchDr. Mark Eskandari opens W.L. Gore and Associates Clinical Trial entitled "Evaluation of the GORE TIRGRIS Vascular Stent in the Treatment of Atherosclerotic Lesion of hte Superficial Femoral and Proximal popluteal Arteries".
- [+] 06.01.2013 Dr. Levitsky opens Salix Pharmaceuticals, Inc. Clinical Trial - ResearchDr. Josh Levitsky opened a Salix Pharmaceuticals Clinical Trial entitled "A Muilticenter, Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Trial to Evaluate the Efficacy, Safety and Pharmacokinetics of Rifaximin 550mg in Subjects with Severe Hepatic Impairment and Over Hepatic Encephalopathy".
- [+] 06.01.2013 Dr. Levitsky opens AbbVie Inc. Clinical Trial - ResearchDr. Josh Levitsky opened an AbbVie Inc. clinical trial entitled "Open-Label, Single Arm, Phase 2 Study to Evaluate the Safety and Efficacy of hte Combination of ABT-450/ritonavir/ABT-267 (ABT-450/r/ABT-267) and ABT-333 Coadministered with Ribavirin (RBV) in Adult Liver Transplant Recipients with Genotype 1 Hepatitis C Virus (HCV) Infection".
- [+] 05.16.2013 Arun Gosain, MD, named ASMS Vice President - Pediatric SurgeryThe nominating committee of the American Society of Maxillofacial Surgery (ASMS) has named Arun Gosain, MD, of Plastic Surgery its First Vice President for 2013-2014. This begins Dr. Gosain's ascendency to ASMS President over the next 3 years. Congratulations to Dr. Gosain.
- [+] 04.29.2013 Dr. Caicedo featured in the News-Gazette - Organ TransplantationJuan Carlos Caicedo, MD, Director of the Hispanic Transplant Program and an Assistant Professor of Surgery (Organ Transplantation), was featured in the East Central Illinois News-Gazette on the donor organ shortage and living donor transplantation. To read the entire article, please click here.
- [+] 04.26.2013 Dr. Ladner Discusses Living Organ Donor RisksAn editorial by Dr. Daniela Ladner, Assistant Professor of Surgery (Organ Transplantation) and Director of NUTORC (Northwestern University Transplant Outcomes Research Collaborative), was referenced in Bio-Medicine regarding the risks living organ donors face. To read the complete article, please click here.
- [+] 04.22.2013 Dr. Crandall receives Brandeis University Scholarship - Trauma and Critical CareMarie Crandall was awarded the 2013 Brandeis University Leadership Program Scholarship sponsored by the American College of Surgeons and the Eastern Association for the Surgery of Trauma (EAST). For more information on the scholarship and the Executive Leadership Program in Health Policy and Management click here.
- [+] 04.19.2013 Dr. Crandall's trauma research mentioned on WBEZ 91.5. - Trauma and Critical CareDr. Crandall's research concerning gunshot victims and prehospital transport times was discussed on WBEZ. Click here for article.
- [+] 04.16.2013 Dr. DeCamp Presents at a Program for the Thoracic Oncology Institute - Thoracic SurgeryDr. DeCamp will be giving a presentation at a special reception and program for the Thoracic Oncology Institute at the Stonebridge Country Club in Aurora, Illinois. His presentation will be "Lung Cancer: Innovation Driving Hope and An Urgency for Discovery".
- [+] 04.12.2013 3rd Annual John G. Raffensperger, MD, Lecture - Pediatric SurgeryThe Division of Pediatric Surgery at Lurie Children's presents the 3rd annual John G. Raffensperger, MD, Lecture on Monday, April 22, at 7:30 a.m. in the 11th Floor Lurie Conference Center. Our guest speaker will be Mary L. Brandt, MD, Professor of Surgery & Pediatrics at Texas Children's Hospital. Dr. Brandt will present "Prevention and Treatment of Compassion Fatigue." All are welcome to attend.
- [+] 04.09.2013 Dr. Wertheim received SSAT award - ResearchDr. Jason Wertheim received the Society of Surgery of the Alimentary Tract, Inc. for his research entitled "Development of a Humanized Liver in a Rodent Model of Auxiliary Liver Transplantation".
- [+] 04.08.2013 Josh Levitsky Quoted in Medical NewsJosh Levitsky, MD, Associate Professor of Medicine (Gastroenterology and Hepatology) and Surgery (Organ Transplantation), is quoted in Medical News in continuing coverage of a study that found that incarceration, marijuana use, and psychiatric diagnoses, particularly suicide attempts, may lower patients’ eligibility for liver transplantation. For more information go to Medical News.
- [+] 04.01.2013 Dr. Jeruss received NIH Pilot Project Award - ResearchDr. Jacqueline Jeruss received an award for her NIH Pilot project titled "Evaluation of Physician and Patient-level Factors, Including Fertility Concerns, that Affect Adherence to Tamoxifen for Young Women Diagnosed with Breast Cancer".
- [+] 04.01.2013 Dr. Mahvi received NCIIA award - ResearchDr. David Mahvi and his team received the National COllegiate Inventors and Innovators Alliance, Inc. award for their research titled "Development of an Expandable Radiofrequency Ablation Probe for Breast Cancer Treatment".
- [+] 03.22.2013 Dr. Swaroop publication: Pulmonary embolism - Trauma and Critical Care
- [+] 03.15.2013 Dr. Edwin C. McGee has been selected as the national co-principal investigator for the HeartWare HVAD Thoracotomy Registry - Cardiac Surgery
Dr. Edwin C. McGee has been selected as the national co-principal investigator for the HeartWare HVAD Thoracotomy Registry. The purpose of this study is to evaluate less invasive implantation methods of the HeartWare HVAD assist device.
- [+] 03.13.2013 Dr. Swaroop discusses Northwestern Trauma Team Traveling to Bolivia - ResearchDr. Mamta Swaroop discusses the Northwestern Trauma team that is traveling to Bolivia to assist with their emergency unit. The entire article can be found here.
- [+] 03.12.2013 New Lung Transplant Surgeon, Dr. Ankit Bharat Begins July 1, 2013 - Thoracic SurgeryDr. Malcolm DeCamp is pleased to announce that Dr. Ankit Bharat has accepted the position of Lung Transplant Surgeon in the Division of Thoracic Surgery effective July 1, 2013. Dr. Bharat will join us after completion of the Early Specialization Program in Cardiothoracic Surgery at Washington University in St. Louis, MO.
- [+] 03.12.2013 Dr. DeCamp Presents at the 2013 Annual Meeting of the Taiwan Surgical Association - EducationDr. Malcolm DeCamp will be presenting at the 2013 Annual Meeting of the Taiwan Surgical Association in Taipei. His presentations will include, "Detection, Diagnosis and Treatment of Lung Cancer: An Evidence-based Approach, "Interventions for Emphysema: Beyond Best Medical Care" and "A Stage-based Approach to Resectable Esophageal Cancer".
- [+] 03.05.2013 Dr. Swaroop to travel to Bolivia as part of the Northwestern Trauma Initiative (NTI) - Trauma and Critical CareDr. Swaroop, along with a team from Northwestern, will be in La Paz, Bolivia in March to establish a trauma care system at Hospital Arco Iris. Read article
- [+] 02.28.2013 Dr. Galiano opens Healthpoint, Ltd. clinical trial - ResearchDr. Robert Galiano copes a Healthpoint, Ltd. clinical trial titled "A Phase 3 Ransomized, Double Blind, Vehicle Controlled Study Investigating the Safety and Efficacy of HP802-247 in the Treatment of Venous Leg Ulcers >12cm^2 to greater than 36cm^2"
- [+] 02.28.2013 Dr. Levitsky received NMF awardDr. Josh Levitsky receives the NMF award for his research entitled "Delayed Chimerism Induction in Liver Transplants with Bioengineered Marrow Cells"
- [+] 02.28.2013 Dr. Leventhal receives NMF award - ResearchDr. Joseph Leventhal received the NMF award for his research titled "Expansion of Facilitating Cells to Enhance Graft Tolerance"
- [+] 02.28.2013 Dr. Khan receives Amgen Award - ResearchDr. Seema Khan was received the Amgen Inc. award for her research entitled "Protein Expression of RANKL in Benign Breast Tissues During the Mentrual Cycle in Pregnancy-Associated Breast Tumor Tissues"
- [+] 02.28.2013 Dr. Crandall quoted in the online article "Chicago violence drives push for more trauma care" - Trauma and Critical CareDr. Crandall was referenced in the Houston Chronicle online edition for her research on the subject of transport times of gunshot victims. View article here
- [+] 02.15.2013 Daniel Ganger Quoted in Multiple Outlets - Organ Transplantation
Daniel Ganger, MD, Transplant Hepatologist and Associate Professor of Medicine (Gastroenterology and Hepatology) and Surgery (Organ Transplantation), is quoted in multiple outlets including Reuters, CNBC, Yahoo! News and Boston Globe regarding a patient who was diagnosed with primary biliary cirrhosis (PBC) but received a liver transplant and now is living life to the fullest. To read the press release in Reuters, click here.
- [+] 02.13.2013 John J. Bergan, MD, Lecture - Vascular Surgery
The Division of Vascular Surgery at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine is proud to establish the John J. Bergan, M.D., Lectureship. The lectureship has been established in honor of the visionary vascular surgeon and founder and first chief of the Division of Vascular Surgery at Northwestern, Dr. John J. Bergan. Dr. Bergan’s career spans more than half a century, with unflagging dedication to the pursuit of excellence in the advancement and understanding of vascular disease.
Dr. Peter Gloviczki from Mayo Clinic will present the First Annual John J. Bergan, M.D., Lecture on “Chronic Venous Insufficiency and the Bergan Legacy” at 7:00 a.m. on Thursday, March 7. The lecture will take place in Pritzker Auditorium on the third floor of Northwestern Memorial Hospital, 201 E. Huron.
- [+] 02.12.2013 Pearce receives Pioneers in Performance Award - Vascular Surgery
On November 16, 2012, W. L. Gore and Associates announced that Dr. William H. Pearce, Professor in the Division of Vascular Surgery, was a recipient of the 2011-2012 Pioneers in Performance Awards for the USA. The award recognizes exceptional work in the field of vascular and endovascular therapy. Dr. Pearce was acknowledged specifically for his “dedication to sharing knowledge with peers and patients.”
- [+] 02.08.2013 Dr. Levitsky opens Novartis Pharmaceutical Corp. Clinical Trial - ResearchDr. Josh Levitsky opens the Novartis Pharmaceutical Corp. Clinical Trial titled "The effects of everolimus with and without tacrolimus and mycophenolic acid on donor-specific Tregs in the Tred-MLR"
- [+] 01.31.2013 Dr Friedewald Quoted in AARP Blog - Organ Transplantation
John Friedewald, MD, Transplant Nephrologist and Associate Professor of Medicine (Nephrology) and Surgery (Organ Transplantation), is quoted in an AARP blog in continuing coverage of possible revisions to the United Network of Organ Sharing (UNOS)’s kidney transplant guidelines that aims to enhance the long-term benefit of kidney transplantation, make better use of available kidneys, and increase transplant opportunities for hard-to-match candidates.
- [+] 01.29.2013 Dr. Malaisrie discusses bypass surgery and stenting - Cardiac SurgeryDr. Chris Malaisrie, MD, is quoted in the Medill Reports Chicago article, "Cut it out: study suggests heart surgery offers best chance at long-term health." Read article
- [+] 01.18.2013 The Bionics Man - Plastic SurgeryGregory Dumanian, MD, chief and program director of the Division of Plastic Surgery at Northwestern University, pioneered targeted muscle reinnervation (TMR) with Todd Kuiken, a physiatrist and engineer, in the early 2000s—a procedure noted for bettering the lives of upper-limb amputees. Read More
- [+] 01.15.2013 Dr. Skaro Quoted in U.S. News & World Report - Organ TransplantationAnton Skaro, MD, PhD, Assistant Professor of Surgery (Organ Transplantation), is mentioned in U.S. News & World Report regarding an editorial he wrote stating that livers donated after cardiac death have higher complication and failure rates than livers donated after brain death. To read the entire U.S. News and World Report article, click here.
- [+] 12.28.2012 Researchers collaborate with Surgery Faculty to create simulators to enhance medical education - EducationRead the Feinberg SOM article Innovation Lab Enhances Medical Training which discusses how "researchers in the lab have collaborated with faculty to create everything from pediatric radiology simulators to neonatal chest tube simulators to plastic surgery models for facial lacerations... Amy Halverson, MD collaborated with the lab to develop plastic surgery models for facial lacerations. Katherine Barsness, MD coauthored a paper accepted into the Journal of Pediatric Surgery, which describes an esophagus repair simulation model." Read More
- [+] 12.28.2012 Researchers collaborate with Surgery Faculty to create simulators to enhance medical education - Gastrointestinal and Oncologic SurgeryRead the Feinberg SOM article Innovation Lab Enhances Medical Training which discusses how "researchers in the lab have collaborated with faculty to create everything from pediatric radiology simulators to neonatal chest tube simulators to plastic surgery models for facial lacerations... Amy Halverson, MD collaborated with the lab to develop plastic surgery models for facial lacerations. Read More
- [+] 12.28.2012 Researchers collaborate with Surgery Faculty to create simulators to enhance medical education - Pediatric SurgeryRead the Feinberg SOM article Innovation Lab Enhances Medical Training which discusses how "researchers in the lab have collaborated with faculty to create everything from pediatric radiology simulators to neonatal chest tube simulators to plastic surgery models for facial lacerations... Katherine Barsness, MD coauthored a paper accepted into the Journal of Pediatric Surgery, which describes an esophagus repair simulation model." Read More
- [+] 12.13.2012 New MD Curriculum at Feinberg - EducationDr. Debra DaRosa, Vice Chair of Education for the Department of Surgery and Member, Curriculum Renewal Steering Committee, discusses the new MD curriculum at Feinberg School of Medicine Watch Video
- [+] 12.12.2012 Dr. Thomas Mustoe, Plastic Surgery, is named one of America's Top Doctors - Plastic Surgery
Dr. Thomas Mustoe, a Chicago, IL physician who is Board Certified in Plastic Surgery, has been selected by Castle Connolly Medical Ltd. for inclusion in its prestigious guide of the nation's top 1% of medical specialists, America's Top Doctors. Read More
- [+] 12.10.2012 Dan McCarthy, MD awarded by Northwestern Medicine for his submission for the Value Improvement Intitiative - Education
Congratulations to Dr. Dan McCarthy for submitting one of the five winning ideas for the Value Improvement Initiative sponsored by Northwestern Medicine. Over 30 ideas were submitted and a panel of judges blinded to resident name and program selected the five winners. For his winning submission, “Discharge education pilot protocol to reduce readmission rates in high-risk populations,” he was awarded an iPad Mini. Read More
- [+] 12.05.2012 Congratulations to Dr. Mamta Swaroop! - Trauma and Critical CareDr. Swaroop was initiated as a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons in October. She has demonstrated ethical fitness and professional proficiency, and her acceptance as a Fellow of the College was approved by three-fourths of its Board of Regents.
The American College of Surgeons is a scientific and educational organization of surgeons that was founded in 1913 to raise the standards of surgical practice and to improve the quality of care for the surgical patient. The College is dedicated to the ethical and competent practice of surgery. Its achievements have established it as an important advocate for all surgical patients. The College has more than 78,000 members and is the largest organization of surgeons in the world.
- [+] 12.03.2012 10-Year Milestone from the American Board of Thoracic Surgery - Thoracic SurgeryThe American Board of Thoracic Surgery sends congratulations to Dr. Malcolm DeCamp and Dr. Alberto de Hoyos for successfully completing the 10-Year Maintenance of Certification (MOC) which is effective through 2024. Their participation in the MOC process shows a commitment to excellence which is recognized by the Officers and Directors from the American Board of Thoracic Surgery.
- [+] 12.01.2012 Dr. McGee Opens Clinical Trial with Evalve Inc. - ResearchDr. Edwin McGee just opened the clinical trial "Clinical Outcomes Assessment of the MitraClip Percutaneous Therapy for High Surgical Risk Patients (The COAPT Trial): A Clinical Evaluation of the Safety" with Evalve Inc.
- [+] 12.01.2012 Dr. Eshandari opens a Cordis Corporation Clinical Trial - ResearchDr. Eskandari just opened the clinical trial "A Multicenter, Open Label, Prospective, Non-Randomized Study of hte Incraft Stent Graft System in Subjects with Abdominal Aortic Aneurysms" from Cordis Corporation.
- [+] 12.01.2012 Dr. Khan receives Breast Cancer Research Foundation Award - ResearchDr. Seema Khan received the Breast Cancer Research Foundation award for her work titled "Pre-clinical and Clinical Studies of Breast Cancer Prevention with Transdermal Anti-progesterone Agents".
- [+] 12.01.2012 Dr. Jeruss receives NIH R01 award - ResearchDr. Jacqueline Jeruss was awarded an NIH R01 for her research titled "Measuring Signaling Pathway Dynamics During Tissue Growth in Hydrogels".
- [+] 11.29.2012 Online Tech In Thick of 'The Biggest Technology Breakthrough of Our Time' - Plastic Surgery
Michigan-based Data Hosting Company to Discuss Its Role in Mobile Healthcare Proliferation at Upcoming mHealth Summit in Washington, D.C.
- [+] 11.28.2012 Dr. Galiano receives the NMF Dixon Translational Research Award - ResearchDr. Robert Galiano was awarded the NMF Dixon Translational Research Award for his research titled "Antibacterial Surgical Sealants for Enhanced Healing of Biofilm-Infected Wound".
- [+] 11.26.2012 Society of Thoracic Surgery Annual Meeting - January 26 to January 30, 2013 - Thoracic SurgeryThe Society of Thoracic Surgery will be holding their 49th Annual Meeting and Exhibition on January 26 - January 30, 2013 in Los Angeles, California. Dr. Alberto de Hoyos and Dr. Shari Meyerson will all be attending the annual meeting and giving presentations.
- [+] 11.26.2012 Dr. Eric Hungness is named the S. David Stulberg, MD, Research Professor of Advanced Surgical Education - Gastrointestinal and Oncologic SurgeryDr. Eric S. Hungness was celebrated last Monday evening, November 19th with a program in honor of his investiture as the S. David Stulberg, MD, Research Professor of Advanced Surgical Education. The S. David Stulberg, MD, Research Professorship of Advanced Surgical Education was created by Max & Lorayne Cooper in 2007 to recognize and thank Dr. S. David Stulberg for the compassionate and expert care he provided Mr. Cooper over the years. Through this professorship, created in perpetuity, the fields of advanced surgical education and minimally invasive surgery research and education will receive excellent, ongoing support. Congratulations Dr. Hungness!
- [+] 11.16.2012 Dr. Kibbe receives the Dixon Translational Research Award. - ResearchDr. Melina Kibbe just received the Dixon Translational Research Award for her research entitled "A Novel Therapy to Treat Atheroscleorsis".
- [+] 11.09.2012 Education Publication: Does resident ranking during recruitment accurately predict subsequent performance as a surgical resident? - Education
- [+] 11.01.2012 Education Publication: Surgical residents' perception of competence and relevance of the clinical curriculum to future practice. - Education
- [+] 11.01.2012 Dr. Khan receives Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation award - ResearchDr. Seema Khan was awarded the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation award for her research on "Hormone Receptor-Specitic Cancer Risk Biomarkers in Benign Breast".
- [+] 10.23.2012 Congratulations to Dr. Shari Meyerson! - Thoracic SurgeryCongratulations to Dr. Shari Meyerson, one of four recipients of an Augusta Webster Faculty Grant for Educational Innovation, which support multi-year, health-profession education projects. Read More
- [+] 10.23.2012 Congratulations to Dr. Shari Meyerson! - EducationCongratulations to Dr. Shari Meyerson, one of four recipients of an Augusta Webster Faculty Grant for Educational Innovation, which support multi-year, health-profession education projects. Read More
- [+] 10.23.2012 Northwestern Medicine Surgeons Perform 100th Kidney Paired Donation Transplant - Organ Transplantation
Dr. Abecassis is quoted in the online press release: Northwestern Medicine Surgeons Perform 100th Kidney Paired Donation Transplant "We are proud of this accomplishment and our diligent focus to lead the way in finding innovative techniques to provide more patients the opportunity to get the transplants they need," said Michael Abecassis, MD, Chief of the Division of Organ Transplantation Read Press Release
- [+] 10.22.2012 Chicago Plastic Surgeon Turns Techie - Plastic SurgeryGregory Dumanian's HipaaCat communication system improves processes, meets HIPAA compliance for sharing plastic surgery patient images and notes via mobile devices. Read More
- [+] 10.08.2012 Julia Corcoran, MD, receives Excellence in Teaching Award - Pediatric SurgeryJulia Corcoran, MD, of Pediatric Plastic Surgery has received the Excellence in Teaching Award for 2012. The award recognizes faculty members who excel at supporting resident and medical student learning. Congratulations to Dr. Corcoran.
- [+] 10.05.2012 Save the Date: Orvar Swenson Lectureship, Dec. 3, 2012 - Pediatric Surgery
The Division of Pediatric Surgery will present its annual Orvar Swenson Lecture on December 3, 2012, at 7:30 a.m. in the Lurie Conference Center. Our guest speaker will be Edward Barksdale, Jr, MD, Surgeon-in-Chief, Rainbow Babies’ and Children’s Hospital and UH Case Medical Center. All are invited to attend.
- [+] 10.05.2012 Congratulations to Drs. Chow, Bilimoria & Kim! - DepartmentThe Department of Surgery proudly offers our congratulations to Drs. Geoffrey Chow, Karl Bilimoria & John Kim, coauthors of the exhibit entitled "Variations in Complication Rates for Elective Non-Reconstructive Breast Surgery: An Analysis of NSQIP Data from 2006-2010" at the American College of Surgeons 98th Clinical Congress. They were honored as a Poster of Exceptional Merit, as well as the 2012 American College of Surgeons (ACS) Best Scientific Exhibit at the 98th ACS Clinical Congress. A photo of the award recipients is featured on page 3 of the online ACS Clinical Congress News (pdf)
- [+] 10.05.2012 Arun Gosain, MD, named Advisory Council Chair by ACS - Pediatric SurgeryArun Gosain, MD, Division Head of Plastic Surgery at Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago, has been named Chair of the Maxillofacial and Plastic Surgery Advisory Council to the American College of Surgeons. Congratulations to Dr. Gosain.
- [+] 10.01.2012 2012 Surgical Scope online - DepartmentOur September 2012 Northwestern Department of Surgery Newsletter is now online. We hope you enjoy reading about all of the exciting developments in the Department of Surgery over the past year. View the Surgical Scope
- [+] 09.27.2012 2012 Excellence in Teaching Award Recipients - Education
Congratulations to this year's Excellence in Teaching Award Winners. The “Excellence in Teaching” award recognizes faculty members who excel at supporting resident and medical student learning. We are grateful to these outstanding teachers for their efforts in ad-vancing the department’s education mission.
The 2011-2012 Excellence in Teaching award winners are:
Julia Corcoran, Marie Crandall*, Robert Galiano, Nora Hansen, Nabil Issa, Melina Kibbe*, David Mahvi, Michael McGee, Shari Meyerson, William Pearce*, Michael Shapiro*, Nathaniel Soper*, Cord Sturgeon, Jeffrey Wayne*
*These faculty members have been awarded the Excellence in Teaching Award a minimum of five times. They are members of the Teaching Wall of Honor.
- [+] 09.24.2012 General Surgery Residency Interview Dates - EducationInterviews for applicants to the General Surgery Residency Program will be held on:
- Saturday, November 17, 2012
- Friday, December 14, 2012
- Friday, January 11, 2013
Personal interviews are by invitation only and are required for acceptance to our program. Applicants who we wish to invite to interview will be notified via ERAS email. Read additional information for Prospective Residents.
- [+] 09.21.2012 Jacqueline Jeruss, MD, PhD receives 2012 SSO Clinical Investigator Award - Breast SurgeryCongratulations to Dr. Jeruss, recipient of the 2012 Society of Surgical Oncology Clinical Investigator Award in breast cancer research, funded by Susan G. Komen for the Cure. Her project "Synergistic action of carboplatin/eribulin in combination with CDK inhibitor therapy for the treatment of triple negative cancer" will be funded for a two-year period effective October 1, 2012.
- [+] 09.21.2012 Jacqueline Jeruss, MD, PhD honored by AMWA - Breast SurgeryCongratulations to Dr. Jacqueline Jeruss on being selected as the recipient of this year's American Medical Women's Association Gender Equity Award! This award is given annually to acknowledge the efforts of a medical professional who has helped to create an environment for gender equality in healthcare in both their professional accomplishments and teaching responsibilities. Our students here at Feinberg nominated her to receive this award and we are proud to announce she is this year's winner.
- [+] 09.18.2012 Employment Opportunity - Lung Transplant Surgeon - Thoracic Surgery
Assistant Professor/Associate Professor - The Department of Surgery at Northwestern Memorial Hospital and Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine, Division of Thoracic Surgery seeks a board-certified surgeon to lead our new lung transplant program. We anticipate that lung transplantation will be clinically active by 2013 and will complement our successful programs in heart and abdominal organ transplantation. Please send inquiries and curriculum vitae to: Malcolm M. DeCamp, MD, Chief of Thoracic Surgery, Northwestern Memorial Hospital, 676 N. St. Clair, Suite 650, Chicago, IL 60611.
- [+] 09.18.2012 Employment Opportunity - Lung Transplant Surgeon - Thoracic Surgery
Assistant Professor/Associate Professor - The Department of Surgery at Northwestern Memorial Hospital and Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine, Division of Thoracic Surgery seeks a board-certified surgeon to lead our new lung transplant program. We anticipate that lung transplantation will be clinically active by 2013 and will complement our successful programs in heart and abdominal organ transplantation. Please send inquiries and curriculum vitae to: Malcolm M. DeCamp, MD, Chief of Thoracic Surgery, Northwestern Memorial Hospital, 676 N. St. Clair, Suite 650, Chicago, IL 60611. View Description
- [+] 09.17.2012 Breast Surgery hosts Avon Scholars - Breast Surgery
Seema Khan, MD is hosting two visiting scholars through the Avon Foundation for Women. Dr. Dejan Nikolic and Dr. Taras Tsolko will be observing at the Lynn Sage Breast Center through October 2012. This this will afford them exposure to our multidiciplinary approach to breast surgery includiing: imaging, pathology, radiation oncology, medical oncology, and reconstructive and plastic surgery.
- [+] 09.14.2012 Welcome New Thoracic Surgery Fellow - Emily Cassidy, MD - Thoracic SurgeryDr. Emily Cassidy has come onboard as a fellow within our 3-Year ACGME Thoracic Surgery Fellowship Program effective July, 2012. Dr. Cassidy comes to us from Morristown Memorial Hospital in New Jersey and is currently rotating on the Thoracic Surgery service.
- [+] 09.14.2012 Drs. Swaroop and Crandall to present at the INDUS-EM Summit 2012 - Trauma and Critical CareThe INDUS-EM Summit is a Level One international meeting dedicated to trauma, emergency, and disaster medicine. The Summit, held in Nashik, India, is in its 8th year and has been attended by over 12,000 delegates to date. The doctors' presentation is entitled "Saying one thing and doing another: Delhi women pillion riders and their helmets." For more information about the INDUS-EM Summit, click here.
- [+] 09.14.2012 Breast Surgery Welcomes 2 New Fellows - Breast SurgeryThe Division of Breast Surgery welcomes two new fellows. Melissa Lazar, MD and Denise Monahan, MD joined the Breast Surgery team on July 1, 2012.
- [+] 09.14.2012 Welcome Sean Kane, Division Administrator of Thoracic Surgery - Thoracic SurgeryThe Division of Thoracic Surgery is pleased to welcome Sean Kane to the position of Division Administrator of Thoracic Surgery effective August 27, 2012. Sean joined the Department from the NMFF Executive Administration Office where he worked as a Senior Manager of Program Development since June, 2011. Sean studied at Loyola University Chicago, where he earned his Bachelor's and Mager's degrees in Business Administration.
- [+] 09.13.2012 Drs. Crandall and Swaroop to be published in the Journal of Emergencies, Trauma, and Shock - Trauma and Critical Care"Prehospital Transport Times and Survival for Hypotensive Patients with Penetrating Thoracic Trauma" is in press and will soon be printed in the Journal of Emergencies, Trauma, and Shock. Click here for more information.
- [+] 09.12.2012 Upcoming Event: Gerald Ujiki Education Grand Rounds - September 27th - EducationSurgical Education is pleased to invite faculty and staff to attend the Annual Gerald Ujiki Education Grand Rounds and Excellence in Teaching Awards scheduled on Thursday, September 27th from 7 a.m. to 8:30 a.m in the 676 6th Floor VC Room. This year's visiting professor, Dr. Nick Sevdalis, joins us from the Imperial College in London, UK. Dr. Sevdalis is a Senior Lecturer in Patient Safety and a leader of the Non-Technical Skills and Simulation Research Group. Dr. Sevdalis is a noted researcher in the area of assessment and training of non-technical skills necessary for safe care delivery. He will present “From art and personality to science and performance – Building healthcare teams in the 21st century”
- [+] 09.12.2012 Dr. Swaroop granted fellowship in the American College of Surgeons - Trauma and Critical CareThe American College of Surgeons grants fellowship only to those applicants who demonstrate high standards of surgical judgment and experience, professional competence, ethical conduct, professional standing in the local community, and attitude toward the basic tenets of the College. Dr. Swaroop will be formally inducted at a ceremony on September 30, 2012.
- [+] 09.10.2012 Pediatric Surgery Fellows Receive Teaching Awards - Pediatric SurgeryWe are pleased to announce that Surgical Fellow Loren Berman, MD, and former Fellows Alex Dzacovic, MD, and Rashmi Swanson, MD, have received 2011-2012 Fellow as Teacher Awards from the Department of Surgery. Congratulations to all.
- [+] 09.07.2012 Donna Blackburn Receives SVU Award - Vascular Surgery
On June 7, 2012, Donna Blackburn received the 2012 Society for Vascular Ultrasonography Professional Achievement Award at the annual meeting of the society. This award is intended to acknowledge an SVU member’s substantial contributions to the vascular technology profession through education (traditional and non-traditional) or scientific research. Donna has worked in the vascular laboratory at Northwestern Memorial Hospital since 1976. She currently serves as Clinical Instructor in the vascular laboratory. She also is Assistant Professor in Vascular Ultrasound at Rush University, College of Health Sciences. This award very appropriately recognizes Donna’s long-term commitment to vascular diagnostic education for technologists as well as Vascular Surgery fellows.
- [+] 09.07.2012 Please welcome Dr. Mohammed Alghoul - Plastic SurgeryThe Department of Surgery is delighted to welcome Dr. Mohammed Alghoul to the Northwestern Medical Faculty Foundation effective August 13, 2012 where he joins the Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. Dr. Alghoul earned his medical degree from the University of Jordan Medical College in Amman, Jordan. He completed full residencies in general surgery and plastic surgery at the Cleveland Clinic in 2011. He recently finished a microsurgery fellowship at the Medical College of Wisconsin with emphasis on breast cancer reconstruction. Finally, he studied as an oculoplastic surgery fellow with Dr. Mark Codner in Atlanta. His long-term clinical interests are in breast reconstruction along with associated clinical research outcomes. Please contact Dr. Alghoul at the Plastic Surgery office on Galter 19.
- [+] 09.07.2012 Why Northwestern? General Surgery Residency at Northwestern - EducationLearn more about General Surgery Residency at Northwestern. View video
- [+] 09.07.2012 Northwestern Vascular Symposium - Vascular Surgery
The 37th Annual Northwestern Vascular Symposium will be held at the InterContinental Chicago on December 6-8, 2012. The program provides a comprehensive analysis of the current management of vascular disease as it relates to treatment of extracranial cerebrovascular and supra-aortic trunk disease, new approaches to lower extremity arterial and venous problems, recent cutting-edge developments in open and endovascular approaches to treat aortic and visceral arterial disease, as well as novel techniques for complex venous problems. For this 2½ day course, 50 national experts in various fields of vascular care have been selected based on recent peer-reviewed publications, national societal presentations, and/or recognized expertise in their disciplines. View Brochure or Register Online
- [+] 09.04.2012 Vascular Surgery is pleased to welcome Dr. Andrew Hoel - Vascular SurgeryPlease welcome Dr. Andrew Hoel to the Department of Surgery and the Division of Vascular Surgery effective Tuesday, September 4, 2012. Dr. Hoel graduated from the Mayo Medical School in 2003. He completed a residency in general surgery at Brigham and Women’s Hospital followed by a fellowship in vascular surgery at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center. Dr. Hoel’s clinical interests include the treatment of aortic, visceral, carotid, and lower extremity vascular disease. His specialized training in endovascular surgery, including the treatment of complex aortic aneurysms, complements his background in open surgical treatment of vascular diseases. Currently, Dr. Hoel’s research focuses on secondary prevention and quality of life in vascular surgery patients with particular emphasis on the role of new technology to improve patient outcomes. View Profile
- [+] 09.01.2012 Nora Hansen, MD appointed Chief of Breast Surgery - Breast Surgery
Nora Hansen, MD, Associate Professor of Surgery, has been appointed Chief of the newly created Division of Breast Surgery. Dr. Hansen completed her undergraduate work at the University of Chicago and matriculated to New York Medical College where she obtained her MD in 1988. She performed her residency at the University of Chicago where she was named Chief Administrative Resident in her final residency year. Dr. Hansen spent an additional year at the University of Chicago in a breast surgery fellowship. In the fall of 2005, she became the Director of the Lynn Sage Comprehensive Breast Center. The past 7 years have seen excellent growth in the area of Breast Surgery due in large part to Dr. Hansen’s vision to expand the facilities in the Breast Surgery area, fostering a strong interdisciplinary environment and leading a dedicated group of breast surgeons – all of whom focus on “patients first”.
- [+] 08.31.2012 Dr. Bilimoria receives NIH/AHRQ award - ResearchDr. Karl Bilimoria received the NIH/AHRQ award for his research titled "Engagin Patients and Hospitals to Expand Public Reporting in Surgery".
- [+] 08.31.2012 Dr. Galiano opens Celleration clinical trial - ResearchDr. Robert Galiano opened the Celleration clinical trial titled "Inflammation, Bacteria & Angiogenesis Effects in Launching Venous Leg Ulcer Healing".
- [+] 08.31.2012 Dr. Rodriguez opens Ciden Ltd. Clinical Trial - ResearchDr. Heron Rodriguez opened the clinical trial "Durability Iliac" from Coviden Ltd.
- [+] 08.31.2012 Dr. Kibbe opens Jeuventas Therapeutics Inc. Clinical Trial - ResearchDr. Melina Kibbe opened the clinical trial titled “A Phase IIa Randomized Double-Blind, Placebo Controlled Dose Escalation Study to Evaluate the Safety and Efficacy of JVS-100 Administered by Direct Intramuscular Injection to Cohorts of Adults with Critical Limb Ischemia” from Jeuventas Therapeutics, Inc.
- [+] 08.31.2012 Dr. Wertheim received ALF award - ResearchDr. Jason Wertheim received the Americal Liver Foundation award for his research titled "Liver TIssue Engineering and Regeneration"
- [+] 08.31.2012 Dr. Levitsky opens a Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc. trial at Northwestern - ResearchDr. Josh Levitsky opened the clinical trial from Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc. entitled “A 2-Part, Open-Label Study of Telaprevir in Combination with Peginterferon Alpha-2a(Pegasys) and Ribavirin (Copegus) in Subjects Chronically Infected with Genotype 1 Hepatitis C Virus Following Liver Transplantation”.
- [+] 08.31.2012 Dr. Abecassis receives NIDDKD award - ResearchDr. Michael Abecassis receives an NIDDKD award for the Transplant Surgery Scientist Training Program
- [+] 08.31.2012 Dr. Yao and Nicole Higashiyama receive Alumnae Award - ResearchDr. James Yao and Nicole Higashiyama were awarded the Alumnae Northwestern's award for their research "Initiative to Fight Hepatitis B".
- [+] 08.23.2012 Ashley Vavra Receives Compassionate Care Award - Vascular Surgery
Dr. Ashley Vavra, Vascular Surgery Fellow, was one of three winners of Northwestern Memorial's Compassionate Care Awards for 2012. Dr. Vavra, who started her Vascular Surgery fellowship on July 1, 2012, received the award for her performance during her General Surgery residency.
- [+] 08.19.2012 Dr. McCarthy discusses wireless pacemakers - Cardiac SurgeryDr. Patrick McCarthy discusses wireless pacemakers in the online article "Wireless pacemakers and defibrillators being developed by NUvention Medical"
- [+] 08.10.2012 Marleta Reynolds, MD, receives Jonas Salk Health Leadership Award - Pediatric Surgery
Marleta Reynolds, MD, Head of Pediatric Surgery and Lurie Surgeon-in-Chief, has been announced as a recipient of the Jonas Salk Health Leadership Award for 2012 from the March of Dimes. The award was established in 1998 to annually recognize individuals or groups in healthcare for their excellent leadership and contributions to improving infant and maternal health. Read more about the March of Dimes.
- [+] 08.07.2012 Dr. Wertheim receives the ASTS Foundation Award - ResearchDr. Jason Wertheim receives the 2012 ASTS-OptumHealth Presidental Student Mentor Grant.
- [+] 08.01.2012 Education Publication: Needs assessment for an errors-based curriculum on thoracoscopic lobectomy. - Education
- [+] 07.24.2012 Dr. Grippo receives NIH Research Award - ResearchDr. Paul Grippo just received an NIH award for his research titled "N-3 Fatty Acid-Induced Akt Suppression: Chemoprevention for Pancreatic Neoplasia".
- [+] 07.21.2012 Plastic Surgeon Sees Success in Combining Cosmetic Procedures - Plastic SurgeryDr. Thomas Mustoe, a plastic surgery specialist in Chicago, says his patients typically look and feel great after he combines procedures such as a breast lift and a tummy tuck for more dramatic results. Read More
- [+] 07.13.2012 Save the Date - Shields Lecture May 2013 - Thoracic SurgeryPlease save the date for the next Thomas W. Shields Lecture scheduled for May 16, 2013. Dr. Thomas A. D'Amico, Chief of General Thoracic Surgery at Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina will be the Shields Visiting Profressor.
- [+] 07.13.2012 Dr. Alberto de Hoyos is promoted - Thoracic SurgeryDr. Alberto de Hoyos has been promoted to Associate Professor of Surgery effective September 1, 2012. This award is reflective of both Dr. de Hoyos' academic accomplishments as well as increased recognition of those accomplishments by his peers.
- [+] 07.01.2012 Education Publication: Pursuing professional accountability: an evidence-based approach to addressing residents with behavioral problems. - Education
- [+] 07.01.2012 Education Publication: Career development resource: Educational leadership in a department of surgery: vice chairs for education. - Education
- [+] 07.01.2012 Shari Meyerson, MD named Associate Program Director of Evaluation - Education
- [+] 07.01.2012 Dr. Shari Meyerson named Associate Program Director - Thoracic SurgeryDr. Shari Meyerson has been selected among a competitive group of faculty applicants for the Associate Program Director of Evaluation position for the General Surgery Residency Program.
- [+] 06.29.2012 Dr. Elaine Gregory and Dr. Melina Kibbe receives AHA Research Award - ResearchDr. Elaine Gregory and her mentor, Dr. Melina Kibbe, received the Postdoctoral Fellowship award from AHA for their research in "L-Ascorbic Acid-Poly(diol-citrate): An Innovative Approach to Improve Vascular Sugery Outcomes"
- [+] 06.26.2012 Dr. Jeruss receives ACS Jacobson award - ResearchDr. Jeruss just received the 2012 ACS Jacobson Promising Investigator Award.
- [+] 06.25.2012 Dr. Katherine Barsness is featured in the Chicago Tribune - Pediatric Surgery
Dr. Katherine Barsness is featured in the online artile: "Long career path for Chicago pediatric surgeon," in the Chicago Tribune. "'The main thing to understand about pediatric surgery is that it is a privilege, and overwhelmingly pediatric surgeons would agree,' says Barsness" Read Article
- [+] 06.22.2012 2nd Annual Plastic Surgery Research Day - Research
The second annual Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Research and Alumni day was held on June 22. The day was dedicated to Dr. Gerold Harris, a dedicated member of the division known for his teaching of hand surgery. Dr. Harris himself graduated from the program in 1979.
Seventeen residents, medical students, and post-doctoral fellows presented their work at the 3 hour conference. The first place prize judged by 4 faculty members not associated with the work was won by Dr. Dev Gurjala for the biodesign of a novel 3-dimensional suture. The second place prize was won by Dr. Jason Souza for testing of this same suture in the repair of rat ventral hernias.
- [+] 06.22.2012 Dr. Ladner receives AHRQ award - ResearchDr. Ladner receives the AHRQ award for her research titled "Geographic Inequity in Kidney Transplant Allocation: Model Feasible Solutions"
- [+] 06.22.2012 Drs. Wertheim and Ameer win Chemistry of Life Process Institute Award - ResearchDr. Wertheim and Dr. Ameer receive the Chemistry of Life Processes Institute's award for their research titled "Conferring Thromboresistance to Decellularized Vascular Grants".
- [+] 06.22.2012 Dr. Abecassis receives NIAID Award - ResearchDr. Abecassis and Dr. Hummel receive the NIAID award for their research titled " Role of Innate Immunity and Injury in Transplant-Induced Reactivation of MCMV"
- [+] 06.20.2012 Dr. Patrick McCarthy discusses HeartValveSurgery.com - Cardiac SurgeryDr. McCarthy is featured in the timesunion.com online article " Northwestern Memorial Hospital Launches 'Heart Valve Clinic Microsite' At HeartValveSurgery.com."
- [+] 06.15.2012 Jesse Meyer receives NMFF Administrative Leadership Excellence Award - Gastrointestinal and Oncologic Surgery
Congratulations to Jesse Meyer, Division Administrator, on receiving the NMFF Administraive Leadership Excellence Award. Awards are given to a member of the management team who has demonstrated outstanding administrative leadership of a new or existing program, or a long term commitment to accepting and excelling at new leadership assignments.
- [+] 06.15.2012 Remi Love receives NMFF Service Excellence Award - Gastrointestinal and Oncologic Surgery
Congratulations to Remi Love in the Surgical Oncology Division on receiving the NMFF Service Excellence Award. Awards are given to staff members in both administrative and clinical roles who have consistently provided extraordinary service and exhibited an unwavering commitment to the standards NMFF espouses.
- [+] 06.13.2012 Education Publication: Can skills coaches be used to assess resident performance in the skills laboratory? - Education
- [+] 06.12.2012 Ms. Tarasewicz receives NRSA Fellowship from NCI - ResearchDr. Jeruss' graduate student, Elizabeth Tarasewicz, just received the 2012 NRSA Fellowship from the NCI.
- [+] 06.05.2012 The Face of Hope - Plastic Surgery
- [+] 06.01.2012 Dr. Grady receives AHA award - ResearchDr. Kathleen Grady recevied the AHA award for her research titled "Develop a Mechanical Circulatory Support JRQOL Instrument"
- [+] 06.01.2012 Dr. Mustoe recevies ConvaTec Award - ResearchDr. Mustoe receives ConvaTec award for his research titled "The Effect of Antimicrobial Dressing on Bacterial-Biofilm Infected Wounds"
- [+] 06.01.2012 Drs. Leventhal and Miller receives Award - ResearchDr. Leventhal and Dr. Miller receives a Baxter Health award for their research titled "Isolation, Characterization and Expansion of Human Facilitating Cells from Deceased Donor Bone Marrow"
- [+] 06.01.2012 Dr. Ladner receives NSF award - ResearchDr. Ladner received a NSF award for her research titled "Addressing Geographical Disparities in Transplant Organ Accessibility Across United States".
- [+] 06.01.2012 Dr. Ladner receives NIDDK award - ResearchDr. Ladner received an NIDDK award for her research titled" A2ALL-Patient Safety System Improvements in Living Donor Liver Transplantation".
- [+] 01.01.2012 Dr. Meyerson receives the Augusta Webster Award - ResearchDr. Shari Meyerson was just awarded the Augusta Webster Award for her research entitled "Utility of an errors-based curriculum to improve advanced skill acquisition in surgery".
This page last updated Mar 23, 2012